Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tasteful Thursday....Old Fashion Ice Cream

It is summer time in South GA and that means it is time for homemade ice cream. I was ready to get it out and make my first freezer full. I love to make it and serve it to others. I am all about baking, cooking, and serving others. I truly believe that is one of my God Given Gifts. This is not your usual recipe either. It takes all day to make it. I can remember as a kid thinking that homemade ice cream took all day, well this one does. It is worth it too.


OLD FASHION ICE CREAM
(this is for a 4 quart churn, if yours is bigger I can email you the right recipe for it)

2 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR
1/4 CUP PLUS 2 TABLESPOONS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
5 CUPS MILK
4 EGGS, BEATEN
4 CUPS WHIPPING CREAM
2 TABLESPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT

Combine sugar, flour, and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
Gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add egg mixture into hot mixture, stirring constantly, cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Refrigerate 2 hours. Combine whipping cream and vanilla in large bowel; add chilled mixture, stirring with wire whisk to combine. Freeze as your freezer directs.

You can also add anything that you like to it before freezing. I have added chopped up butterfinger to it and it is great. I will be adding some peaches to the next one I believe.

I hope that you enjoy your summer. I will be back Monday to post about my anniversary weekend. We leave tonight and head to St. Simmons for the day tomorrow. This will be our first trip without kids. Please pray that everything goes as plan. I am a little nervous about it. Have a great weekend!!!

No comments: